EC8395 COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING NOTES WITH QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS / SYLLABUS
EC8395 COMMUNICATION ENGINEERING L T P C 3 0 0 3
- To introduce the relevance of this course to the existing technology through demonstrations, case studies, simulations, contributions of scientist, national/international policies with a futuristic vision along with socio-economic impact and issues
- To study the various analog and digital modulation techniques
- To study the principles behind information theory and coding
- To study the various digital communication techniques
UNIT I ANALOG MODULATION 9
Amplitude Modulation –AM, DSBSC, SSBSC, VSB –PSD, modulators and demodulators –Angle modulation –PM and FM –PSD, modulators and demodulators –Superheterodyne receivers
UNIT II PULSE MODULATION 9
Low pass sampling theorem –Quantization –PAM –Line coding –PCM, DPCM, DM, and ADPCM And ADM, Channel Vocoder -Time Division Multiplexing, Frequency Division Multiplexing
UNIT III DIGITAL MODULATION AND TRANSMISSION 9
Phase shift keying –BPSK, DPSK, QPSK –Principles of M-ary signaling M-ary PSK & QAM –Comparison, ISI –Pulse shaping –Duo binary encoding –Cosine filters –Eye pattern, equalizers
UNIT IV INFORMATION THEORY AND CODING 9
Measure of information –Entropy –Source coding theorem –Shannon–Fano coding, Huffman Coding, LZ Coding –Channel capacity –Shannon-Hartley law –Shannon's limit –Error control codes –Cyclic codes, Syndrome calculation –Convolution Coding, Sequential and Viterbi decoding
UNIT V SPREAD SPECTRUM AND MULTIPLE ACCESS 9
PN sequences –properties –m-sequence –DSSS –Processing gain, Jamming –FHSS –Synchronisation and tracking –Multiple Access –FDMA, TDMA, CDMA,
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
- Ability to comprehend and appreciate the significance and role of this course in the present contemporary world
- Apply analog and digital communication techniques.
- Use data and pulse communication techniques.
- Analyze Source and Error control coding.
1. H Taub, D L Schilling, G Saha, ―Principles of Communication Systems‖ 3/e, TMH 2007
2. S. Haykin ―Digital Communications‖ John Wiley 2005
1. B.P.Lathi, ―Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems‖, 3rdedition, Oxford University Press, 2007
2. H P Hsu, Schaum Outline Series –―Analog and Digital Communications‖ TMH 2006
3. B.Sklar, Digital Communications Fundamentals and Applications‖ 2/e Pearson Education 2007.